Sunday, January 18, 2009

Module 4 Tasks - Tools for using the Web

Downloading tools / plug-ins Task

In your learning log record which programs you downloaded and note which (if any) facets you think might prove useful.

I did not download any programs as most were already installed on my system. The offline browser / copier program being the one which I did not have and really don't think it is one I would ever use. To download and save a website to view at a later date does not seem practical to me - personally I would like to always be confident that the data i am viewing is always the most current available.

In my mind viewing an offline web site is a bit like reading last weeks newspaper - generally a waste of time.

I have previously attempted to use a Bookmark Manager but overall found it clumsy and cumbersome, so gave it away.

Media players all very much do the same thing and appear to be differentiated only by their surface presentation and sales gimmicks.

My personal favourite is Adobe Acrobat pdf - my life would not be the same without this! A universally know and accepted format that is simple to use and fail safe.

No comments: